All tutoring in the Fall 2020 semester will take place online. To access online tutoring and resources from the Academic Success Centers, students must self-enroll in the “Madera/Oakhurst Online Tutoring” course in Canvas:
- Self-Enroll. You may also receive an invitation to your SCCCD district e-mail (@my.scccd.edu) and/or it may be sent to you directly by an instructor.
- Join the course by clicking (+ Enroll).
- On Canvas, you should see a new course titled “Madera/Oakhurst Online Tutoring” on your Dashboard. It should also be listed when you select Courses.
- Go to the menu item labeled Home.
You have three (3) choices for online tutoring:
- ETC and STEM Tutoring – students can schedule appointments to cover course-related content from a number of MCC courses
- Reading and Writing Center Tutoring – students can submit a request to receive asynchronous written feedback and/or schedule a synchronous one-on-one session, to focus on writing assignments for any class at MCC
- SmartThinking Tutoring – students can access an outside service that provides support for various classes
- Click on “Online Tutoring”
- You will see a Google sheet that lists classes, tutor names, tutoring times, and a Zoom Meeting link.
- Click on the link at the scheduled time and your tutor will be there!
Reading and Writing Center Online Tutoring
- Click on “Reading and Writing Center” for essays, brainstorming, citations, and anything related to your writing assignment (in any class).
- Click on “HERE” for Writing Tutoring.
- Fill out the feedback form after you click on the hyperlink called “THIS FORM”
- Attach your Word document or PDF (essay, first draft, outline, or a prompt) in this format:
"Last Name, First Name - Student ID# - Draft Number - Course" -- ex. "Jones, John - 0123456 - Draft #2 - ENGL 1A.pdf"
- You have two choices for receiving feedback:
- Synchronous RWC tutoring - Work in real time with an RWC tutor. Click on the “Conferences” menu tab in the “Madera/Oakhurst Online Tutoring” course.
- Asynchronous RWC tutoring - Receive feedback on your prompt, essay, works cited page or anything related to your writing assignment within 48-72 hours. Tutors will provide written feedback and provide supplemental handouts.
Have any questions, comments, or concerns? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
SMARTTHINKING ONLINE TUTORING
- Click on “SmartThinking Online Tutoring”
- Click on “Work with a Tutor or Career Coach”
- At the top of the page choose between “Drop-in Session” or “Schedule a Future Session” or “Ask a Question”
- At the bottom of the page choose your discipline. (We encourage you to use the Madera Community College's Reading and writing tutors rather than SmartThinking writing tutors.)
- Continue to follow the steps until you see an online tutoring platform … follow the prompts until a tutor shows up to help you.
Writing tutoring: Matthew Kenerly
All other tutoring questions: Samuel Contreras or Ray Sanchez